Thursday 16 January 2014

What Royal Enfield means to me... wish I could enforce to all

In 1893, the Enfield Manufacturing Company Ltd was registered to manufacture bicycles, adopting the branding Royal Enfield. We are talking about a History of 121 years of Engineering.

No doubt it has a cult following with the constant revolution of ideas & battle between man and machine. In this post I intend to speak of India, Indian mindset and the ridiculous manners on road.

Bullet was a luxury vehicle with a specific purpose since inception, made for the warfare, rode by men in uniform with discipline as a way of life. Little did they know that it would become the life style of a million Indians in the years to come. It was the journey that mattered & NOT the speed of reaching a destination. It was about riding with nature & NOT breaking the rules.

May be the cost & efficiency kept a lot of unruly buyers at bay, but not any longer. The sales on RE has boosted over the past couple of years which may be a celebration for the company but not for a law abiding, RE passionate rider like me who enjoys synching the beat of my Bullet with my Heart.


Today people have money & of course you can buy anything if you have the money. Folks before you buy a two wheeler know what is it that you need & then buy. Know & understand your riding style.
Are you looking at long distance travel, navigating urban traffic, cruising, racing or off-road riding? Just so that you know, a RE Bullet is used for long distance travel, cruising & light load off-roading. If you are the kind of a person raised with poor road manners, who get cheap thrills by speeding in city, breaking traffic rules, riding on the pavement and honking to get attention, RE is not for you. There are plenty of two wheelers that would suit your needs, NOT THE RE. If you really want to show off your RE (which most of them do), ride slow, respect the fellow riders, follow the rules and honk only if the other person is in danger.

Dare you take bath & not give your Bullet the bath & the pampering it deserves. You don't dress in a fine suit & wear hawaii slippers... DO YOU?

I'm afraid that in the years to come, RE will be like any other two wheeler released in India, brought by stupid senseless people causing a stroke to the values upheld by the fanatic's like me.

It's my opinion & those who don't care a damn of other lives on the road can still continue to zip fast, ride on pavements, do stunts, break the signals & traffic rules, honk till their egos fly and ride the RE.

2 comments:

  1. It is true. The real owners are really proud of their RE. When I was inquiring about RE at office a real fan warned me about how to behave on roads when riding an RE. It was really thrilling to listen to him. Now I am reading another ardent RE fan's pride!!
    Last saturday, and RE was going in front of me. I felt like the rider was thoroughly enjoying the ride. I just followed him while others were just zooming past.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shashi, Welcome to the Religion called RE & I'm sure you will also feel why the hell do some of these guys buy a RE.

    ReplyDelete