Sunday 19 October 2008

Secunderabad Life at the RPF Barracks (3)

Note : Railway Diaries follows the Number on the Post Title

It was November 2002 that we arrived at Secunderabad Station and caught a bus to Moulali , Headed straight to Trainee hostel and the time was 0730 Hrs.When we met the Warden , he informed us that the hostel was full and that if we wanted accommodation we had to manage in the RPF Barracks. I did not think much but headed from there to the RPF Barracks which was a 15 minutes walk ……..

From the main gate to the barrack would have been 600 mts and it was just a big hall with some shaky cots and broken glass windows with a door which did not have a locking arrangement. Took bath and headed back to the training center. Everybody was concerned about their luggage back at the barracks.

The prayer started at 0900 Hrs and with a small speech by the Principal we found ourselves in the classroom. Mr.Murthy entered the class announcing that he will be the class teacher and it sounded like I had long forgotten that word.Anyways there was a round of introduction and when it came to electing a Class Leader I was unanimously chosen as I had been the best at Guntakal (even though Mohan Rao had warned me that I should opt out of Leader role at Moulali, because there would be too much to study).

We had lunch at the hostel canteen and I don’t remember the taste as I was very hungry. After the class we all rushed back to the barracks and this is where the actual life at ZTC (Zonal Training Centre) begins……..

Luckily the luggage was undisturbed. I unpacked a few daily usable clothes, shoe polish tin and the brush. After cursing all the officials possible for not having sufficient rooms at the hostel we headed back to the hostel mess for dinner. After dinner the 15 minute walk seemed a little too long as I was tired after the travel from Guntakal to Secunderabad and the already three trips from the barrack to the centre. On reaching the main gate, we realized that there was no power and it was pitch dark and none of us had a torch. Slowly we crept to the hall and lay on the cots and it was only when one of the alarms went off that I woke up.

Day 2 was mostly spent in the class and during breaks trying to convince the warden to allot rooms and also mentioning that we would adjust with whatever is given. As I spoke in Telugu, he asked me to check out some ladies quarters at the back of the centre. After the class, I went with some of my friends to check them and the word that I may use with all rights is pathetic. The cots were broken and twisted and the beds were happily conquered by bed bugs. Saying a big NO I walked back to the barracks.

When the news came to us that the hostel rooms would be allotted, we were actually jumping with joy.

Around a week and a half had passed in the RPF barracks and I was enjoying the long walks and the stillness that existed in the darkness of the night.

2 comments: