Monday 19 November 2012

Mysore - a mission!

As a child I remember listening to the history of his childhood narrated by my Father. They lived in a colony of brahmin families in Mysore. My grandfather had to run the family of six with his salary. He was working as a cook in a hospital. Everyday was a struggle to make the ends meet. And there were days when the family would live on one meal a day. At a very young age (standard V), my Father was working hard by distributing news papers, selling vegetables and working as a wood cutter. When my elder uncle Venkatesh got a job in BEL, the whole family moved from Mysore to Bangalore. My grandfather was retired by then. In order to escape from hunger, my Father joined the Armed forces. To this day, my Father and his siblings live the memories of their childhood and their connection with Mysore is with blood.

Sometimes the stories of their poverty would make me cry in silence thinking of the hardships they have gone through in life. My Father has struggled to make me what I am today without denying anything that I asked for.

I took it as a challenge to give my Father the happiness of his son owing a property in Mysore - the very place where they struggled for one meal a day.

My Fathers childhood friend Sathyakeerthi who still resides in Mysore had come to our place and I spoke to him about my Challenge. He assured me that he would check and let me know. The very next day he gave me a call telling that their is a Brahmins Welfare Society through which they are providing plots but he cannot guarantee anything on his end. I immediately went to Mysore, met the person in charge of the Society and signed up for the deal. I chose a 60*40 plot and the total was quoted at three lakh rupees.

with Vidya in front of plot# 005 registered in the name of Vishwanath Nataraja
Quarterly I had to deposit fifty thousand rupees. I was working with AOL and my monthly salary was fourteen thousand rupees and the maximum incentive I could earn was seven thousand.
Only on earning the maximum, I could reach twenty one thousand out of which I kept aside seventeen thousand rupees towards the property payment. And in the balance four thousand I had to give some home and manage my expenses as well.

My motivation to work was the property in Mysore and I had to earn the maximum incentive month on month  by being a distinguished performer on all metrics. Unknowingly I was the best at work and that helped me climb up the ladder of success.

I cleared the three lakh rupees and had to wait for another two years for any information on when the property registration would happen. I waited patiently and on faith that I would achieve it. Finally the property was registered with a total payment of five lakh forty thousand rupees. My joys knew no bounds and I had given the best gift to my Father. A piece of land in a place where he had struggled during his childhood.

am Proud of this achievement

I feel proud of my achievement and as my friend Sridhar says "whats the point of dreaming if you dare not chase it".

1 comment:

  1. Tribute to your dad and another thing to strike off your bucket list, Mitra :-)

    ReplyDelete